Saturday, February 12, 2011

The sweetest day...

Some days are just destined to be beautiful. For me, today was one of those days. I got a call from my best friend yesterday telling me that she, her mom and one of the other of my “musketeers” would be calling on us to see the new house today. So I stayed up late last night doing the baby’s laundry and sorting out the clothes he can no longer wear. I thought I’d get around to cleaning the house a bit since we were going to have company, but I didn’t quite make it to that part. Evan decided he needed to day to study for the bar exam, so he was going to leave early in the morning to head over to campus to study. The baby had woken up at 3 am so he and I were snuggling together when I heard Evan getting ready to leave. I got up, made the baby a bottle (his last bottle ever by the way as we weaned him completely off them today), kissed my dear husband and sent him on his way and then settled in for a day at the house entertaining friends.

I finished up the laundry while the baby was playing with his books and the little cup thingies Miss Donna had given him at Christmas. We were listening to some music and enjoying chattering at each other and basically just chilling – which is something we never really get to do. Keli and Olivia got to the house first while the baby was having his lunch. I can’t believe how big Olivia has gotten – she’s only five, but you’d think from how grown up her speech is that she was six or seven! We talked for a bit and enjoyed each other’s company. Finally De and her mommy showed up – they are always late for everything because they just run on a different time zone! But we just got to relax and catch up with things that have been going on in each other’s lives – and we got to look at Keli and Marc’s wedding and honeymoon books – I’d forgotten how beautiful Keli’s wedding was!

While we were talking, Keli noticed what she thought was a chicken in our backyard. Turns out, Keli’s “chicken” was really an enormous hawk. We all had a nice little laugh at how she confused the two – you’d have to know Keli to really understand just how funny this was. Apparently since we live in the boonies now, farm animals are expected! But her little discovery led us to go outside – we’ve lived here for almost a month now and I haven’t taken the baby into the backyard yet! But we had fun exploring and the baby even got to chasse the doggie a bit – though I will admit my 14 year old doggie was not thrilled at being chased by an energetic one year old!!!

After a bit of talking all of the girls decided it was time for lunch, so we packed up and headed over to Beef O’Brady’s for some yummy victuals. It was just so nice to have such a relaxing time with my girlfriends. We were cracking up at how funny the baby was being and at Miss Olivia declaring that he was her baby now! She’s so ready for a little sibling! After lunch Keli and Olivia had to head out so Olivia could go to her Granny’s house. Mom and De were going to look at a new piece of land near De’s new house, and the baby was rubbing his eyes because it was past his nap time. He hugged on Monkey McGee for a minute before turning over and falling sound asleep. I got to talk to my aunt for a few minutes and then I even fell asleep in the recliner while I was gazing out on the backyard. The baby and I napped for about an hour and a half – I hardly ever get to take a nap on the weekend!

We were so well rested after our naps that we decided to venture into town to meet my aunt for dinner. The baby loves seeing his grandma! We had such a nice evening together – the baby flirted with five different tables of people at Cabo’s. He was super intent on watching these two younger men in their twenties – even the guys noticed him watching them. I said I thought he was trying to hang out with the guys for a bit! Ha! Then when they left, he started goo-gooing with two younger women at another booth. An older couple was having a bit of fun with his antics and even a foursome of biker-types had a little fun making faces at him. It was really just such a fun evening!

We ended up stopping off at Wal Mart on the way home to get some more clothes hangers for his armoire – but really I ended up buying him shoes, some bubbles and a pair of socks for me too. When I got home Evan hopped down on the floor and started playing so sweetly with the baby. I even had a package waiting on me from Wyoming. I love, love, love getting little packages from Wyoming because I know they have little things from my favorite little girl! Miss Emma had made me a card that said “I love you” and her mommy crocheted the most beautiful little heart garland strand for me! I put the heart garland on my memories table and the card in proudly displayed on the fridge for now but will go into a frame as soon as I get one for it.

The baby had his nighttime milk and we rocked for a bit before he toddled over to his daddy to give him kisses before going night night. I love watching the two of them play together. So I scooped little man up to put him to bed and just hugged him and told him how much I love him and he hugged me back so sweetly. We could hear him chatting away to Monkey McGee until he nodded off to sleep. And then Evan headed off to bed and I surfed the web for a bit listening to my favorite versions of One Love and Ilo Ferriera’s Lifeline.

It’s so easy to remember how blessed I am on days like today. I need to remember how to hold on to the sweetness of days like today to get me through the days when it’s hard to remember how good I have it.

No comments: